qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Memory API

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Memory API
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 15:02:09 +0300

On 05/19/2011 02:58 PM, Gleb Natapov wrote:

>  Devices shall register their regions with the bus. Every device is on
>  some bus, so that's not a problem. And we can then provide registration
>  handlers at bus level that either implement specific logic or just
>  forward the request to the next hierarchy level (default handler).

Yes, I agree with that. I just don't see the need for "priority" parameter
in this model.

Priority allows you to register RAM from 0-EOM and overlay it with the ROM and VGA windows as necessary. It also allows PCI to override RAM (or vice versa, however we decide).

Sure, you can let the caller chop the various regions manually in the first case, but it's just extra work that can be done in common code. And it cannot be done at all for the second case, if RAM overrides PCI (the PCI bus doesn't know how to chop BARs).