qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Memory API

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Memory API
Date: Thu, 19 May 2011 16:49:58 +0300

On 05/19/2011 04:44 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

The i440fx may direct VGA accesses to RAM depending on the SMM registers. By the time the PIIX gets the I/O request, we're past the memory controller.

This is my biggest concern about this whole notion of "priority". These sort of issues are not dealt with by a simple z-ordering. There is logic in each component that may be arbitrarily complex.

We're going to end up having to dynamically change the "priority" based how registers are programmed. But priorities are relative so it's unclear to me how the I440FX would prioritize RAM over dispatch to PIIX (for VGA, for instance).

You can change priorities by removing the region and re-adding it with a different priority. In practice I don't think this is ever necessary; we'll have fixed priorities and dynamic addition and removal.

For the per-cpu SMM case the only reasonable solution I see is a per-cpu memory map (= root region).