qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Derivative snapshots or snapshots for versioning

From: Mike Young
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Derivative snapshots or snapshots for versioning
Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 10:14:27 -0600

Hi,

I'm trying to see if I can I do a derivative snapshot as a means of versioning. I wish to do this vs dd or cp as it's much faster. I do not intend to apply a snapshot back to an original volume.

So, let's say I have original_volume.img and I create a snapshot using the –b option: "qemu-img create –f qcow2 –b original_volume.img snapshot1.img", but now I wish to create a snapshot2 from snapshot1.img. Is there a way to do this?

Also, is there a way to generate 100% snapshot of the original volume (an exact replica), so that a 40G original results in a 40G snapshot?

Thanks,

Mike