qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Webcams under KVM and Linux

From: Peter Baitz
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Webcams under KVM and Linux
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 06:01:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I had asked a question of some of your Sourceforge contacts for KVM - Qemu on addition of webcam support, specifically the following - and was given the following interesting answer.   I would indeed like to hear more about what the project is adding to KVM - Qemu to allow video to work with webcams (currently I run Fedora 15 as host and Fedora 11 under KVM and while the webcam driver and video device shows up in the guest I get no video. Also there is confusion for me if the host is supposed to have its webcam driver loaded and device enabled or not).

I was told I could try to add a complete host controller to the guest, but am not entirely sure I understand what that means?  Looking for specifics?  Is there a suggestion for doing this during install of the KVM guest, or can this be done while the guest is running, or otherwise?

Many thanks,
Peter

> You need to ask to KVM guys. You should notice that it is not just adding
> ISOC and USB 2.0 support, but also to prioritize the processing of isoc
> packets on a virtual environment, and to provide enough throughput for
> video streams
>
> Can you tell me if KVM will be implementing Webcam support as
> described above - the components missing that need to be
> implemented for webcams to work - in any upcoming version of KVM ?

It's work in progress, but not by me. Please check the qemu-devel mailing list archive, specifically regarding recent discussions about EHCI (USB 2.0). Some of those threads address isochronous transfer as well.

In the meantime, you could also try to assign a complete host controller to the guest to get a webcam working. I tried this a while ago, though the result was only moderately well working here.