qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] drop -enable-nesting

From: Roedel, Joerg
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] drop -enable-nesting
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 11:06:17 +0200

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 04:58:16AM -0400, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 11:44 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > >  I think it's safe to drop -enable-nesting immediately.  Dan, does
> > >  libvirt make use of it?
> >
> > Yes, but it should be safe to drop it. Currently, if the user specifies
> > a CPU with the 'svm' flag present in libvirt guest XML, then we will
> > pass args '-cpu ....+svm -enable-nesting'. So if we drop --enable-nesting,
> > then libvirt will simply omit it and everything should still work because
> > we have still got +svm set.
>
> But qemu will complain about an option it can't parse.

The best choice is probably to keep the option and make it a nop for the
lifetime of qemu-kvm. Optionally qemu-kvm can print a warning about the
deprecated option.

        Joerg

--
AMD Operating System Research Center

Advanced Micro Devices GmbH Einsteinring 24 85609 Dornach
General Managers: Alberto Bozzo, Andrew Bowd
Registration: Dornach, Landkr. Muenchen; Registerger. Muenchen, HRB Nr. 43632