qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: Qemu Guest Tools ISO

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: Qemu Guest Tools ISO
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 18:52:08 +0300

On 06/23/2011 06:25 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Even building the tools would be very hard. In general if you build
against libc version y, you cannot expect your code to work against libc
version y-1, unless you take special measures. With other libraries the
"special measures" may not even be possible.

Good libraries provide strong ABI compatibility.

Something like glib clearly documents what version of the library functions are available in, if you still to responsibly common functions, ABI compatibility should be much of an issue.

I don't know about glib, but glibc only guarantees backward compatibility, not forward compatibility. If you build against a newer glibc, your executable may not run with an older glibc, even if the symbols exist in both.

See [1] which touches on the issue; I don't have a better reference.

[1] ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/software/libs/glibc/hjl/compat/index.html