qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Default cache mode

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Default cache mode
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 09:13:35 -0500

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 07:23:31AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
Which file system on the host?

Any filesystem.  Although extN and btrfs are particularly bad.

At any rate, I'm a big fan of making wce tunable in the guest and then I
think setting wce=1 is quite reasonable to do by default.

Note that this means a manual override during each boot.  Windows and
modern Linux just use what's available.  Only Solaris with ZFS actually
turns WCE on if it's not set AFAIK.  And to me it's a rather questionable
behaviour at least for SCSI disks where the admin might have chosen
those intentionally.  (unlike ATA disks SCSI allows to store the setting
permanently)

Is WCE ever persisted by a disk? Would it make sense to have a mechanism to persist the WCE setting for a guest?

Regards,

Anthony Liguori