qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Benchmarking activities

From: Edgar E. Iglesias
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Benchmarking activities
Date: Sat, 2 Jul 2011 13:50:45 +0200

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 09:32:37AM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Blue Swirl <address@hidden> wrote:
> > 2011/6/27 Ben Vogler <address@hidden>:
> >> -           Are there any inbuilt data tracing features? For example,
> >> hardware signal tracing, register monitoring etc.
> >
> > Tracing is quite new addition, so far it's only used for development
> > or debugging QEMU point of view I think.
>
> I think you are referring to hardware model debugging and logging.
> The QEMU "tracing" mechanism that Blue Swirl mentioned is a
> DTrace/SystemTap style tool for observing QEMU internals and not what
> you are looking for.
>
> QEMU is not cycle-accurate and typically only presents the
> register-level hardware interfaces to the VM.  We don't necessarily
> model hardware state and connections.  However, the QEMU User Forum
> link that Blue Swirl posted includes information from people who are
> using QEMU for similar purposes as you.

Hi I recently added a link on the wiki to yet another hacked version.

http://edgarigl.github.com/tlmu/

Wraps QEMU into a TLM-2.0 module with TLM initiator sockets for QEMU
to make access to the TLM world and with target sockets for TLM to
make accesses into QEMU. There's a simple SystemC TLM-2.0 example
on the git.

Cheers