qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] standalone C program "Hello World" on qemu-system-mipse

From: Leo Chen.
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] standalone C program "Hello World" on qemu-system-mipsel
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2011 23:00:02 +0800

Hi,  Andreas

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the -bios *.elf:
    qemu-system-mipsel -M mipssim -nographic -bios bin/test.elf
The result is the same with -kernel *.elf: C program can work, but the
serial port still not working.

And I also tried the normal way: -kernel *.bin
    mips-linux-gnu-objcopy -O binary bin/test.elf bin/test.bin
    qemu-system-mipsel -M mipssim -nographic -kernel bin/test.bin
and get this failure message:
     qemu: could not load kernel 'bin/test.bin'

I know the C programe is working by doing these:
step1:
add some useless code in my C entry:
void c_entry()
{
   init_serial();
   int a, b, c;  //useless code, for remote GDB trace
   a = 1;
   b = 2;
   c = a+b;
   print_uart0("Hello world!\n");
}
step2:
using mips-linux-gdb to connect the qemu like this:
   mips-linux-gnu-gdb
   target remote localhost:1234
Then, I trace the code step by step, and get the correct
result "c=3";

So, I think the problem is I am driving the serial port in
a wrong way. I know there're some linux kernels working
fine on qemu-system-mipsel, maybe I should read these
kernel codes to see how to get the 8250 serial port work.

2011/7/2 Andreas Färber <address@hidden>:
> Hi,
>
> Am 02.07.2011 um 08:13 schrieb Leo Chen.:
>
>> qemu-system-mipsel -M mipssim -nographic -kernel bin/test.elf
>> or
>> qemu-system-mipsel -M malta -nographic -kernel bin/test.elf
>
> The use of -kernel for a random ELF executable looks strange, even if it
> happens to work on arm. Have you tried -bios instead?
>
> Andreas

Leo Chen