qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] migration: new sections and backward compatibility.

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] migration: new sections and backward compatibility.
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 16:40:41 +0200

  Hi,

Not so fast :)

I agree that throwing away unrecognized migration data is unsafe, and
should not be done.  Now let me present my little problem.

I'm working on making migration preserve "tray status": open/closed,
locked/unlocked.

For ide-cd, I can stick a subsection "ide_drive/tray_state" into section
"ide_drive".  Needed only if the tray is open or locked.  This gives
users a chance to migrate to older versions, and is perfectly safe.

scsi-cd doesn't have a section, yet.  What now?

Experimental patch for usb attached (actually two, the first is pure code motion though so the second with the actual changes becomes more readable).

That makes migration support switchable using a property, so we can use compatibility properties to disable sending the section to an older version.

That requires usb-hid.c call vmstate_register manually.  Not that nice.
We could move the needed() callback from VMStateSubsection to VMStateDescription, so it is possible to send complete sections conditionally.

Comments?

cheers,
  Gerd