qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Introduce vm_stop_permanent()

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Introduce vm_stop_permanent()
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:31:43 -0300

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 10:23:22 +0300
Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 07/28/2011 12:44 AM, Blue Swirl wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM, Luiz Capitulino<address@hidden>  wrote:
> > >  This function should be used when the VM is not supposed to resume
> > >  execution (eg. by issuing 'cont' monitor command).
> > >
> > >  Today, we allow the user to resume execution even when:
> > >
> > >    o the guest shuts down and -no-shutdown is used
> > >    o there's a kvm internal error
> > >    o loading the VM state with -loadvm or "loadvm" in the monitor fails
> > >
> > >  I think only badness can happen from the cases above.
> >
> > I'd suppose a system_reset should bring the system back to sanity and
> > then clear vm_permanent_stopped (where's -ly?)

What's -ly?

> > except maybe for KVM
> > internal error if that can't be recovered. Then it would not very
> > permanent anymore, so the name would need adjusting.
>
> Currently, all kvm internal errors are recoverable by reset (and
> possibly by fiddling with memory/registers).

Ok, but a poweroff in the guest isn't recoverable with system_reset
right? Or does it depend on the guest?

I get funny results if qemu is started with -no-shutdown and I run cont after
a poweroff in a F15 guest. Sometimes qemu will exit after a few seconds,
sometimes 'info status' will say 'running'.