qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] SeaBIOS error with Juniper FreeBSD kernel

From: Bjørn Mork
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [SeaBIOS] SeaBIOS error with Juniper FreeBSD kernel
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2011 15:48:06 +0200

Avi Kivity <address@hidden> writes:
> On 08/03/2011 03:42 PM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
>> Anyway, I would appreciate if some solution was found which allowed
>> JUNOS to boot with an unmodified SeaBIOS with SMBIOS enabled, as long as
>> the number of CPUs is limited.
>>

> Is fixing JUNOS out of the question?

Yes, I would say so.  The ability to run it on non-Juniper hardware is
undocumented and unsupported to the degree that the functionality
probably rather would be removed than fixed to support something like
SeaBIOS.

> AFAICT, Seabios complies with all relevant standards.

Yes, I have no reason to believe otherwise.  But still it does behave
sufficiently different from other BIOSes for low CPU count machines to
fail in this particular case.

I see this as another end of the discussion about whether Linux should
try to configure PC hardware in the same manner as Windows, as that is
the configuration which will be tested by hardware vendors.  Most OS
vendors will test their systems with the big proprietary BIOSes and not
with SeaBIOS.

Does that make sense?

Bjørn