qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] kvm PCI assignment & VFIO ramblings
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 07:49:45 +1000

> > I wouldn't use uiommu for that.
>
> Any particular reason besides saving a file descriptor?
>
> We use it today, and it seems like a cleaner API than what you propose
> changing it to.

Well for one, we are back to square one vs. grouping constraints.

 .../...

> If we in singleton-group land were building our own "groups" which were sets
> of devices sharing the IOMMU domains we wanted, I suppose we could do away
> with uiommu fds, but it sounds like the current proposal would create 20
> singleton groups (x86 iommu w/o PCI bridges => all devices are partitionable
> endpoints).  Asking me to ioctl(inherit) them together into a blob sounds
> worse than the current explicit uiommu API.

I'd rather have an API to create super-groups (groups of groups)
statically and then you can use such groups as normal groups using the
same interface. That create/management process could be done via a
simple command line utility or via sysfs banging, whatever...

Cheers,
Ben.