qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] What's the relationship between bridge, tun/tap and macvtap

From: Ryan Wang
Subject: [Qemu-devel] What's the relationship between bridge, tun/tap and macvtap?
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 17:06:12 +0800

Hello,

Recently I'm learning network on KVM. Now I'm confused by bridge, tun/tap and macvtap.
I have some questions on them:
     1) Is bridge built on top of tup/tap for KVM?
     2) Is macvtap a replacement of tun/tap in the network stack to support bridge better?
     3) To configue bridge use macvtap, just editing the .xml with virtio for the bridge item is OK, right?

thanks,