qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] New Migration Protocol using Visitor Interface

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] New Migration Protocol using Visitor Interface
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 09:28:38 -0200

On Mon, Oct 03, 2011 at 10:00:48AM -0500, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> >Yes, it's easy to quantify. I think the following gives us
> >the offset before and after, so the difference is the size
> >we seek, right?

OK, Orit (Cc'd) did some research - this is a booting
while still in grub, size probably does not get much less than that.
windows is said to be much more aggressive in allocating memory.

 start offset: 9600673
 end offset: 9614933

So we get 15K out of 9M.
By the way, most of the memory here is pretty much
all uniform I guess, because compressing it gets us:
gzip: 1934169
bzip2 -9: 1462551

So even with aggressive compression, we probably won't be able to get
below 1.5M for memory, two orders of magnitude above device state.

Sounds convincing?

--
MST