qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Is realview-pb-a8 fully supported ?

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Is realview-pb-a8 fully supported ?
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2011 14:06:23 +0200

Hello Peter,

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 9 October 2011 09:28, Francis Moreau <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm trying to use qemu to emulate the ARM realview-pb-a8 and more
>> specifically I'd like to boot using the SD interface.
>>
>> However it looks like some devices are not emulated at all on this
>> platform.
>
> Correct; not all devices are emulated.

May I suggest to report that a platform is partially supported when
doing "qemu -M ?"

>> The "mmci" host driver needs some gpio in order to work.
>>
>> Is that correct that with qemu 0.14.1, I can't use the SD card interface ?
>
> You need a newer QEMU. The GPIO modules and the wiring for
> the MMC card status outputs should be present in QEMU 0.15.
> 0.14.1 has a number of known ARM bugs (especially in Neon
> and VFP emulation) and I do not recommend it for ARM targets.

Yes that what I saw when trying the tip of qemu git repo.

However, those are still missing:

amba_device_register failed to register dev:smc
amba_device_register failed to register dev:sctl
amba_device_register failed to register dev:wdog
amba_device_register failed to register dev:sci0
amba_device_register failed to register dev:ssp0
amba_device_register failed to register fpga:aaci

In your opinion, which plateform should I use to get a fully supported
platform based on ARMv7 cpu ?

> NB: when booting off SD card make sure you use
> "-drive if=sd,cache=writeback,file=your-sd.img", otherwise you
> will get the writethrough cache and really poor I/O performance.
> [the slight catch is that if your *host* system crashes you
> may get disk corruption, but typically for ARM emulation use
> cases that is acceptable.]

Thanks for the tip but why not making writeback the defaut ?
--
Francis