qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Solution and question: fix for OSX Lion build

From: Juan Pineda
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Solution and question: fix for OSX Lion build
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:24:49 -0700

Solution: Qemu 0.15 won't run under OS-X Lion because Apple switched to gcc
LLVM. Actually it will build, but throws a segment fault when run. The cure is
to build using gcc-4.2 (which is included under Lion.) Additionally darwin-user
and bsd-user fail to compile. I gather these have been broken for a while now.
In all, the following command line is required to successfully build and run
qemu for OS-X Lion:

> ./configure --cc=gcc-4.2 --host-cc=gcc-4.2 --disable-darwin-user
> --disable-bsd-user

With this configuration I was able to run the test Linux boot images for i386,
x86_64, sparc32, and coldfire.

Question: In the interest of saving others the pain of debugging this again, I
though I'd submit a patch. I'm thinking the best fix is to modify the configure
script to 1) check for the OS revision and availability of gcc-4.2 and then set
the default compiler to gcc-4.2, and 2) disable the user builds under OSX.
Sound good? Or is there a more preferred way to fix?

Thanks!
-Juan