qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/nand hw/onenand and read-only

From: Juha.Riihimaki
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] hw/nand hw/onenand and read-only
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 06:36:18 +0000

On 18.10.11 16:38 , "ext Markus Armbruster" <address@hidden> wrote:

>    $ qemu-system-arm -drive if=none,file=tmp.qcow2,readonly,id=foo
>-device nand,drive=foo -kernel /dev/null
>    qemu: hardware error: nand_device_init: Unsupported NAND block size.
>    [...]
>
>Note that I didn't bother supplying a drive with sensible size.  If I
>did, I guess I'd get nand coupled to a read-only drive.  Easy enough for
>you to try :)

Indeed, thanks ;) While I'm at it, I'll also fix the NAND init function to
return -1 instead of aborting. I'll send patches for hw/nand and
hw/onenand shortly. I'll simply make them reject read-only drives however
both device models already support running without a drive as well by
using a memory buffer instead so it would also be possible to make them
use a read-only drive in a way that initial NAND/OneNAND contents would be
read from the drive but any changes would not be written back to the drive
and would be lost when QEMU is killed.

Cheers,
Juha