qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Secure KVM

From: Will Drewry
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Secure KVM
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2011 13:51:15 -0600

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 11/07/2011 11:52 AM, Sasha Levin wrote:
>>
>> Hi Anthony,
>>
>> Thank you for your comments!

>>> I thought about this a bit and have some ideas that may or may not help.
>>>
>>> 1) If you add device save/load support, then it's something you can
>>> potentially
>>> use to give yourself quite a bit of flexibility in changing the sandbox.
>>>  At any
>>> point in run time, you can save the device model's state in the sandbox,
>>> destroy
>>> the sandbox, and then build a new sandbox and restore the device to its
>>> former
>>> state.
>>>
>>> This might turn out to be very useful in supporting things like device
>>> hotplug
>>> and/or memory hot plug.
>>>
>>> 2) I think it's largely possible to implement all device emulation
>>> without doing
>>> any dynamic memory allocation.  Since memory allocation DoS is something
>>> you
>>> have to deal with anyway, I suspect most device emulation already uses a
>>> fixed
>>> amount of memory per device.   This can potentially dramatically simplify
>>> things.
>>>
>>> 3) I think virtio can/should be used as a generic "backend to frontend"
>>> transport between the device model and the tool.
>>
>> virtio requires server and client to have shared memory, so if we
>> already go with shared memory we can just let the device manage the
>> actual virtio driver directly, no?
>
> Let's say you're implementing an IDE device model in the sandbox.  You can
> try to implement the block layer in the sandbox but I think that quickly
> will become too difficult.
>
> You can do as Avi suggested and do all DMA accesses from the IDE device
> model as RPCs, or you can map guest memory as shared memory and utilize (1)
> in order to change that mapping as you need to.
>
> At some point, you end up with a struct iovec and an offset that you want to
> read/write to the virtual disk.  You need a way to send that to the
> "frontend" that will then handle that as a raw/qcow2 request.
>
> Well, virtio is great at doing exactly that :-)   So if you increase your
> shared memory to have a little bit extra to stick another vring, you can use
> that for device model -> front end communication without paying an extra
> memcpy.
>
> For notifications, the easiest thing to do is setup an "event channel"
> bitmap and use a single eventfd to multiplex that event channel bitmap.
>  This is pretty much how Xen works btw.  A single interrupt is reserved and
> a bitmap is used to dispatch the actual events.
>
> So the sandbox loop would look like:
>
> void main() {
>  setup_devices();
>
>  read_from_event_channel(main_channel);
>  for i in vrings:
>     check_vring_notification(i);
> }

> [...]

Approaching the limit: since no security code/infrastructure is
perfect, then what's the point of all of this? :)

When I've spoken about seccomp_filter, I've tried to avoid the word
'sandbox' as that comes with more baggage than just creating a means
of reducing the kernel's attack surface.  Ideally, seccomp_filter just
fills the void between read/write/sigreturn/exit and
all-the-system-calls: Don't want select? ok. Want epoll? ok. . . It
does mean that developers will have to determine the tradeoffs
themselves (or with some general guidance).  But, I expect there'd be
quite a few more consumers of seccomp if it was possible to not need
to emulate select() behavior or if, for example, brk() was allowed.

cheers!
will