qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU + ARMMP11Core combination does not wo rk

From: TusharK
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU + ARMMP11Core combination does not wo rk
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 06:59:30 -0000

Hello Peter,

Thanks for reply.
Please find the comments below.

(1) Does your kernel boot on the real hardware?
I do not have real hardware to test my kernel. But what I did was, I downloaded pre-built kernel image from http://code.google.com/p/smp-on-qemu/downloads/list website and tried to run using QEMU, it boots but my kernel 2.6.39.3 does not boot.

(2) If you add "earlyprintk" to your -append string and ensure early printk is selected as a config option when your kernel was built) do you get any kernel output?
No. As I said nothing is coming on the terminal. Even decompressing kernel print itself is not coming and hence I suspect something is wrong with wither kernel or QEMU.

As I am able to run the pre-built image, I would like to know whether I do need to make / enable some configuration so that QEMU + ARM11MPCore will work? What sort of changes do I need to make so that this works. I tried with linux kernel 2.6.35 also and this also failed as of 2.6.39.3 version. Have you tested these combinations with QEMU?

1) I am using realview-smp_defconfig while compiling the linux kernel.
2) Enabled early printk option too.
3) Compilation is successful and zImage is created. I am using gcc version 4.5.2 (Sourcery G++ Lite 2011.03-41)

Please let me know if I am missing something.

Thanks & Regards,
Tushar

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 18:56:51 +0530 wrote
>On 4 October 2011 06:07, TusharK wrote:

> I tried executing QEMU (realview-smp ARM11MPCore) with Linux kernel 2.6.39.3, but it failed. Kernel itself is not getting decompressed.

> I am executing below command.

> qemu-system-arm -M realview-eb-mpcore -cpu arm11mpcore -kernel arch/arm/boot/zImage -m 256M -append "root=/dev/sda console=ttyAMA0" -serial stdio -hda ../flash/flash.bin

> Nothing is shown on terminal and QEMU window.

> I am using linux kernel 2.6.39.3 version. I also tried with Linux kernel 2.6.35 + kernel_src_patch-2.6.35-arm1_bak version. Both are failing i.e. nothing is shown on terminal. Kernel itself does not boot.

11MPCore isn't in the set of models I usually run. However

"just sits there" is often a kernel configuration bug

rather than a QEMU bug.

(1) Does your kernel boot on the real hardware?

(2) If you add "earlyprintk" to your -append string

(and ensure early printk is selected as a config option

when your kernel was built) do you get any kernel output?

-- PMM

Treat yourself at a restaurant, spa, resort and much more with Rediff Deal ho jaye!