qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] converging around a single guest agent

From: Alon Levy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] converging around a single guest agent
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2011 19:33:31 +0200

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 07:24:40PM +0200, Barak Azulay wrote:
> Hi,
>
> One of the breakout sessions during the ovirt workshop [1] was about the
> guest
> tools, and focused mainly on the ovirt-guest-agent [2].
>
> One of the issues discussed there, was the various existing guest agents out
> there, and the need to converge the efforts to a single agent that will serve
> all.
>
> while 4 agents were mentioned (Matahari, vdagent, qemu-ga &
> ovirt-guest-agent)
> during that discussion, we narrowed it down to 2 candidates:
>
> qemu-ga (aka virt-agent):
> -------------------------
> - Qemu specific - it was aimed for specific qemu needs (mainly quiesce guest
> I/O)
> - Communicates directly with qemu  (not implemented yet)
> - Supports ?
> - So far linux only
> - written in C
>
> Ovirt-guest-agent:
> ------------------
> - Has been around for a long time (~5 years) - considered stable
> - Started as rhevm specific but evolved a lot since then
> - Currently the only fully functional guest agent available for ovirt
> - Written in python
> - Some VDI related sub components are written in C & C++
> - Supports a well defined list of message types / protocol [3]
> - Supports the folowing guest OSs
>   Linux: RHEL5, RHEL6 F15, F16(soon)

Does it have a seperate system level and user level part in Linux? It
does in windows, right? This is a requirment for replacing
vdagent+vdservice and the linux spice-agent, they both need to be active
during login stage, and then launch a new session agent when the user is
logged in. This is true for both linux and windows, although we have
completely different code bases for them:

 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/linux/vd_agent/
 http://cgit.freedesktop.org/spice/win32/vd_agent/

linux is C, windows is C++ btw.