qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for November 29

From: Juan Quintela
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call minutes for November 29
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 02:18:35 +0100

Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
> Avi Kivity <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 11/29/2011 05:51 PM, Juan Quintela wrote:
>>> How to do high level stuff?
>>> - python?
>>>

>> One of the disadvantages of the various scripting languages is the lack
>> of static type checking, which makes it harder to do full sweeps of the
>> source for API changes, relying on the compiler to catch type (or other)
>> errors.
>>
>> On the other hand, the statically typed languages usually have more
>> boilerplate.  Since one of the goals is to simplify things, this
>> indicates the need for a language with type inference.
>>
>> On the third hand, languages with type inferences are still immature
>> (golang?), so we probably need to keep this discussion going until an
>> obvious choice presents itself.
>
> I wouldn't call ML immature.  But I wouldn't call it a scripting
> language, either.

ocaml (Standard ML is a big monster) is not inmature.  But depending on
how much we want to implement on it, its integral types are not very
good.

- no unsigned types
- signed types are 31 and 63 bits wide, sniff.

And its object system is ...... bizarre?
On the other side, inference is quite understable, and its type
inference works pretty well.  And doing stubs with * is tedious, but not
difficult at all.

Later, Juan.