qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Device sandboxing

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Device sandboxing
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 09:47:39 +0000

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Corey Bryant <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 12/07/2011 01:48 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>
>> On 12/07/2011 12:25 PM, Corey Bryant wrote:
>>> * The trusted helper thread would run beside the untrusted thread,
>>> enabling the untrusted thread to make syscalls beyond read(),
>>> write(), exit(), and sigreturn().
>>

>> I assume you mean process, not thread BTW?
>>

> I do mean thread.  When making calls on behalf of the seccomp'd thread, I
> think there will be syscalls that must be called from the same address
> space.  That's where the the trusted helper thread would come into play.

It's worth pointing out that "isolation within the same process"
schemes work by running the trusted thread in a very special execution
environment.  It cannot trust memory and cannot use the stack for
control flow.  Everything must be done in registers.

This can be made to work but it's highly unportable across host
architectures and hard to make changes to the trusted helper because
you have to be so careful.

Stefan