qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] insmod virtio-blk is broken in qemu 1.0

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] insmod virtio-blk is broken in qemu 1.0
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2011 17:43:07 +0000

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:34:13AM -0600, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> On 12/19/2011 04:31 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >>This looks like the same issue reported at:
> >>
> >>http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-10/msg00029.html
> >>
> >>The SeaBIOS fix for this was in rel-1.6.3.1 - but that didn't make
> >>QEmu 1.0.  Does the problem go away if you upgrade to the newer
> >>SeaBIOS version?
> >
> >Sigh, we really need to be better about updating SeaBIOS in QEMU before
> >release. We had plenty of time to pull in a newer SeaBIOS before 1.0
> >that would have fixed this :-(
>
> 1.6.3.1 was released on Nov 24th, which was actually after the soft
> feature freeze.  We could have pulled 1.6.3 which was Oct 4th but
> updating the BIOS always results in some interesting things
> happening so it's not something I like to do unless we have to.
>
> I'd rather have known that this functionality broken before that
> commit event went in to begin with than allowing it to remain broken
> until we happened to update past the bug.
>
> >We've had multiple releases now where
> >functionality is broken due to QEMU shipping with an older SeaBIOS
> >release than is available upstream.
>
> I think the real issue here is testing.  -nodefconfig -nodefaults is
> used by both libguestfs and libvirt but I'd wager to say that almost
> noone tests it in QEMU.

I had actually discovered & pointed out this flaw on qemu-devel back
in September, and Kevin had the seabios fix by Oct

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-10/msg00029.html

I hadn't raised it again, because I had mistakenly assumed QEMU
will automatically pull in the newer SeaBios release before 1.0
came out. I could have more aggresively bugged people on qemu-devel
to update SeaBios, but given your point above about not wanting to
rebase Seabios its not clear that would have helped sort this out
before 1.0

Regards,
Daniel