qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Use Clang to compile Qemu?

From: 陳韋任
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Use Clang to compile Qemu?
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 09:48:18 +0800

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 02:07:53PM +0100, David Turner wrote:
> Some parts of QEMU (the JIT) require the use of a global register variable
> to point to the "env" CPU state variable.
>
> This feature is not supported by Clang (which is not very surprising given
> that it uses LLVM as its backend, and LLVM explicitely doesn't support this)
>
> Until the JIT is modified to not require this anymore, it is very unlikely
> that Clang will be able to build QEMU.
>
> There were previous discussions about such a change on this mailing list,
> but I believe nobody started working on that change because many feared it
> was a lot of work that would have a negative impact on performance (though
> I think it was all conjecture, i.e. no one really tried it and got any real
> data).

  You're right. Here is the discussion,
  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-05/msg01116.html

  Since TCI (Tiny Code Interpreter) doesn't need AREG0, I configure QEMU to use
TCI and try it out. Here's my flow.

---
# apply patches under /usr/ports/emulators/qemu-devel/files/ first
$ ../configure --prefix=$INSTALL --target-list=i386-bsd-user \
  --enable-tcg-interpreter \
  --cc=clang
$ gmake install
---

  So far so good (perhaps freebsd guys should upstream those patches?). But I am
stuck at the error below,

---
$ qemu-i386 -bsd freebsd hello
Unable to load interpreter
---

  Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

Regards,
chenwj

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,