qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] qemu-test: a set of tests scripts for QEMU

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [ANNOUNCE] qemu-test: a set of tests scripts for QEMU
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2012 15:07:08 +0100

On 12/29/2011 07:33 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

FWIW, I expect virtio-scsi to be the first guinea pig here...  I believe
Stefan has already started looking at writing some qtest based tests for
virtio-scsi.

I'm curious, because a SCSI HBA makes it as hard as it can be to write unit tests. Pretty much everything you do will test the interactions between the SCSI devices and the block layer, more than the HBA itself. This is especially for such a simple HBA; unit testing is much more "interesting" for something like the LSI device.

So, to test the HBA you need write either a mock SCSI device, or a mock block device. (I hate mocks). Now that the client is asynchronous, NBD is a pretty effective way to write a mock block device, though not the simplest.

Paolo