qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE

From: Gleb Natapov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Boot order problem and disable iPXE/gPXE
Date: Sun, 8 Jan 2012 17:17:45 +0200

On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 09:58:53AM -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 08, 2012 at 10:31:05AM +0200, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> > On Sat, Jan 07, 2012 at 11:28:44AM -0500, Kevin O'Connor wrote:
> > > I downloaded 8xx_64.rom and tried the above command line.
> > > Interestingly, it will register a BEV for a CD drive - which confirms
> > > my suspicion that it wont use a BCV.  Also interesting is that if both
> > > a harddrive and a CD are found, both a BEV and a BCV will be present -
> > > SeaBIOS doesn't support this, but I don't see any reason it couldn't.
> > >
> > Cool! What about non pnp roms that also register bcv? Should we use HD
> > priority for those too?
>
> A non-pnp rom can't register a BCV, but it can hook int13 (or hook
> int19 or do a direct boot).  Right now, if a user selects a "legacy
> option rom" from the boot menu, SeaBIOS will still prioritize HD
> booting even if the rom doesn't hook int13.  It's an open question
> whether that is the right thing to do.  In practice, though, there
> aren't many legacy option roms, so it's probably not a big deal.  The
> "vapic.bin" should probably be upgraded to use a PNP header just so it
> doesn't show up in the boot menu.

I was talking about this code in optionroms.c:

        if (! pnp) {
            // Legacy rom.
            boot_add_bcv(FLATPTR_TO_SEG(rom), OPTION_ROM_INITVECTOR, 0
                         , getRomPriority(sources, rom, 0));
            continue;
        }

Isn't it register bcv for each non pnp option rom found? As far as I
understand this is done in order to postpone executing such rom until
it is absolutely clear that user wants to use it for booting. If
boot_add_bcv() will unconditionally give HD boot priority to such bcv it
will have higher priority than CD or pxe boot option, no?

Yes, we should fix vapic.bin to not show up in boot menu.

--
                        Gleb.