qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] qemu-nbd daemonizing?

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: [Qemu-devel] qemu-nbd daemonizing?
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 13:26:08 +0400

After looking at the yesterdays issue with non-absolute
paths for qemu-nbd arguments and daemon(3), I've a
question.

Why qemu-nbd daemonizes, and does that only when device
argument is given (dropping -v/verbose case for now)?

This raises two questions:

 - shouldn't it do the same daemonizing in case of usual
   tcp export?

 - shouldn't the daemonizing itself be controlled by an
   option (like -d), and why we can't just send it to
   background using "&" shell constuct?

And while at it, I wonder why it is really unix-only?
There's nothing unix-specific in there exept two things:
it is the device handling (/dev/nbdX) and all the hacks
around this (including this daemonizing).  The rest should
work on win32 just fine.

Thanks,

/mjt