qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for tuesday 31

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for tuesday 31
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 08:17:22 -0600

On 01/31/2012 08:09 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
On 01/31/2012 03:59 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
On 01/30/2012 05:41 PM, Andreas Färber wrote:
Am 30.01.2012 19:55, schrieb Juan Quintela:
Please send in any agenda items you are interested in covering.

QOM roadmap update:
* Series 3/4 is on the list.
->   Please officially designate a merge date (Friday?).
->   To make review sensible, I ask for a hard device freeze until
merged.
     I.e., no new devices and no conflicting changes to DeviceInfo.

I put together a few slides to help this discussion:

http://www.codemonkey.ws/files/qom-overview.pdf

That was helpful, thanks.

Can you clarify

- Types and their properties will be ABI  compatible
- Types and properties will not be backwards  compatible
– We can re-examine this as the device model  matures and stabilizes

the first two seem very similar, except for the "not".

I guess I really mean QMP compatible. The expectation is that well written management code does:

if (check_for_command("qom-list")) {
   run_command("qom-list", "/");
}

ABI compatible means that if qom-list is there, it's semantics never change. Backwards compatibility would mean that once qom-list is introduced, it never goes away.

In terms of QOM types, we won't guarantee that a Type will stick around forever, but we will guarantee if it's there, it'll behave in a certain way.

When the device model stabilizes over time, we can revisit this, but in the 1.x series, I'm sure we're going to go through a few significant refactorings that change types significantly.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori