qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5]: QMP: Introduce GUEST_MEDIUM_EJECT & BLOCK_ME

From: Luiz Capitulino
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 0/5]: QMP: Introduce GUEST_MEDIUM_EJECT & BLOCK_MEDIUM_CHANGED
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 14:07:00 -0200

On Thu, 09 Feb 2012 16:01:21 +0100
Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:

> [...]
> it's best to think in basic operations until you understand the problem,
> then bring in the complex commands.  If you bring them in any earlier,
> you'll get lost in detail and confused.
>
> > Consider this example: you have a medium inserted and locked; a first eject
> > from HMP will tell the guest to eject the medium; if the guest does eject, a
> > second eject from HMP will just purge the medium (in which case
> > BLOCK_MEDIUM_EJECT is a bad event to be emitted).
> >
> > What we really want to do is to tell mngt that the medium was purged.
> >
> > The same is valid for the change command: we want to inform mngt if a medium
> > was inserted or purged and not emulate tray movements with two eject events
> > as we discussed[1].
> >
> > So, the solution I came up with is to have two events:
> >
> >  o GUEST_MEDIUM_EJECTED: emitted when the tray state is changed by the guest
> >  o BLOCK_MEDIUM_CHANGED: emitted when there's a medium change. This should
> >    happen when the eject and change QMP/HMP commands are used
>
> I think what I got in mind is close to your proposal, but the thinking
> that gets me there is different.  Let me explain it.
>
> The tray can be modelled as a simple state machine.  Our problem "notify
> management app of tray-related events" then becomes "notify on state
> transition".
>
> Tray state is just three bits: open/closed, locked/unlocked,
> medium/empty.  A state transition changes one bit, i.e. we have three
> pairs of them.  There are a few constraints, all obvious: closed -> open
> requires unlocked, and empty <-> medium require open.
>
> The three pairs of state transitions correspond to three pairs of QMP
> events, each with a boolean argument[*]: one for open <-> closed, one for
> locked <-> unlocked, and one for medium <-> empty.
>
> These events report tray state transitions fully by construction.
> That's a feature.
>
> The medium/empty bit belongs to the block layer.  So the block layer
> should emit the corresponding event.
>
> The open/closed bit and the locked/unlocked bit belong to the device
> model.  So the device model should emit the event when it changes the
> bit.  When device models need to call into the block layer whenever they
> change such a bit, then its fine (even desirable) to put the even
> emission into the block layer.
>
> Note there is no mention whatsoever of what caused the state transition.
> That's a feature.
>

> Now let's compare your proposal to my ideas.  Your BLOCK_MEDIUM_CHANGED
> appears to track my medium <-> empty.  You emit it from the block
> layer's bdrv_dev_change_media_cb().  Called to notify device models
> whenever the block layer changes media.  The "whenever it changes media"
> part makes it a convenient choke point.
>
> Your GUEST_MEDIUM_EJECTED does *not* track my open <-> closed.  I think
> it's more complex than a straight open <-> closed event.  Evidence: your
> event documentation in qmp-events.txt needs an extra note to clarify

The purpose of the note is not to clarify, but to emphasize that the event
is about guest initiated ejects. Also, I disagree it's more complex, actually
I think it's quite simple vs. emitting the eject event from the eject and
change commands, as this can be messy because of their complicated semantics.

> This is just my analysis of the problem.  If folks think your proposal
> serves their needs, and Kevin is happy with it, I won't object.

No feedback so far.