qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!

From: Anthony Liguori
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:43:52 -0500

On 03/12/2012 02:39 PM, Lluís Vilanova wrote:
Anthony Liguori writes:
[...]
My understanding until now was that both Acked-by and Reviewed-by were tags
reserved to people with privileges to write into the repository.

That's interesting feedback.  These are all documented throughly in Linux's
SubmittingPatches (which I think ours refers to).

It does indeed link to that file, but when referring to the "Signed-off-by" tag.

Maybe adding a line there pointing the user to look for a description of
relevant tags in sections 12 to 14 might help.

Still, it's not completely clear to me the difference between review and ack.

Reviewed-by == you have reviewed a patch in detail and were not able to spot any issues with it. But you are not claiming that you've tested the patch.

Acked-by == weaker than Reviewed-by and usually reserved for submaintainers or for someone who needs to approve a change. It's an indication that you agree with the principle of the patch but haven't reviewed it thoroughly.

BTW, the links in the wiki pointing to CODING_STYLE and HACKING are broken, but
it seems that I forgot my user name or it has been deleted, and I can no longer
add an account.

Send me a private note with your desired username.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori

Lluis