qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] We need more reviewers/maintainers!!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:55:11 +0000

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 13:40, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 03/12/2012 10:27 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:
>>> I agree that more maintainers would be good, but we also need
>>> more people with commit rights.
>>
>> I disagree strongly.  Having multiple pushers makes things difficult
>> and encourages people to push without testing.  Part of what makes
>> pushing take longer than it should today is that my test cycle takes
>> at least 1-2 hours and it's not uncommon to have to go through 3-4
>> cycles of rebasing before being able to push.
>
> This really sucks.
>
> If testing was automated, we could have a staging branch where
> maintainers would push patches, they'd get tested automatically and then
> graduate to master.  The workflow would look something like
>
>  git fetch
>  git checkout staging
>  git rebase origin/staging
>  <apply patches, pull trees>
>  git push staging
>  <wait>
>  <staging gets merged into master autoamatically, or you get an email
> from the test system>

This would be interesting, but it requires a powerful machine for
staging so that it does not become a bottle neck and multiple pushes
are not delayed. Better would be to run standard checks for all
maintainers' trees, or we could agree that all maintainers run a the
standard set before pushing or asking for pulls.