qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Thoughts around dtrace linking...

From: Lee Essen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Thoughts around dtrace linking...
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 16:28:05 +0100

On 26/03/2012 11:14, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 2:11 PM, Lee Essen<address@hidden>  wrote:

On 23 Mar 2012, at 08:08, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 05:00:53PM +0000, Lee Essen wrote:
On 22/03/2012 16:28, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 1:01 PM, Andreas Färber<address@hidden>    wrote:
Hi,

Am 21.03.2012 11:45, schrieb Lee Essen:
I've been trying to find a sensible way to solve the Solaris/Illumos
dtrace requirement to pass all the objs to the dtrace command so that
the resultant object file contains all the symbols needed to properly
link the relevant binary.

If you're able to try out the dependency-based approach that would be a
good starting point.  You may hit a point where it turns out to be too
ugly or complicated - in that case, please post your progress and maybe
someone can help find a way to structure it.  I'm not a make guru but I
can try to give feedback on your patches.

Stefan

Ok, here's an attempt … it works for me, but I'm not sure how it would work on
a different dtrace platform so it will probably need some different guarding …
but it shows what it will look like.

The code makes sense to me.  There's a feeling that there must be a
way to remove the duplication in this approach, but my make foo isn't
good enough to see how.

As you mentioned, we need a way to distinguish between Solaris DTrace,
which requires the global .o linking approach, and other
implementations.  You could use CONFIG_SOLARIS and CONFIG_TRACE_DTRACE
together to enable the global .o linking.

So there is another way that's less duplicative on the non-target stuff. If you build all of the objects needed for ALL of the binaries, you could then build the dtrace object so that it was a superset, then link with that one in all of the final binary linking.

To be honest I think it's probably more confusing to do that, the previous approach is more duplicative but easier to follow.

Let me pull a full patch together and see what people think.

Lee.