qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about the block linking limitation

From: 陳韋任
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about the block linking limitation
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 15:52:41 +0800

> s->pc is updated each time a byte of code is fetched, when an instruction
> is fully decoded s->pc points to the first byte of the next instruction. I see
> that it only makes difference when a branching instruction ends exactly at
> a page boundary. In this case (s->pc - 1) prevents from linking to the next
> page, which seems to be its main purpose.

  That makes things clear to me. So, one tb is allowed to span guest pages, but
not the linking between tbs, right?

  From the previous discussion [1][2], you said the reason behind the block
linking constraint is, if the guest page which the second tb2 belongs to is
changed (swapped out or task switching), then QEMU has no chance to stop tb2
from execution. My question is, what makes tb2 execution invalid? The code of
tb2 (in the code cache) is still the same, although the guest page containing
tb2 is gone. Is it because tb2 need something, like data, in the guest page?

  Doesn't a tb spanning guest pages have above problem? I mean what if the
guest page 2 is changed? In this case, the execution flow jump from tb.a to
tb.b. It seems it may have the same problem as above to me.

     ________
    |        |
  --------------
    |  tb.b  |   guest page 2 (replaced with another guest code)

Any idea on that? Thanks!

Regards,
chenwj

[1] http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-08/msg02251.html
[2] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-09/msg03065.html

--
Wei-Ren Chen (陳韋任)
Computer Systems Lab, Institute of Information Science,