qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] synching GPE0_BLK between OVMF and qemu

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] synching GPE0_BLK between OVMF and qemu
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 20:47:00 +0200

On 04/27/12 20:09, Gleb Natapov wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 27, 2012 at 07:24:48PM +0200, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

>> >From "5.2.9 Fixed ACPI Description Table (FADT)" in the ACPI spec (v5.0)
>> it would appear OVMF can freely choose where to put GPE0_BLK, in both
>> senses (ie. port address considered alone, and also in relation to the
>> other ACPI registers).
>>
> OVMF can't freely choose where to put GPE0_BLK. It should describe to
> OSPM where GPE0_BLK is in HW. If it provides incorrect value this is
> OVMF bug.

By "freely" I didn't mean freedom from correctly setting up the FADT. I
meant OVMF coders can reasonably freely choose what port to use --
because the ACPI spec, or their own codebase, or the other registers
don't restrict them -- and then they have to describe the chosen port in
FADT.

As a special case, they even have the freedom to choose GPE0_BLK so that
it matches the hardware (qemu) and things start working; there's no
external obstacle in their way. My only point was "you're free to set up
GPE0_BLK correctly, nothing ties your hands".

>> Considering SeaBIOS again (build_fadt()):
>> - PORT_ACPI_PM_BASE is 0xb000,
>> - PM1a_EVT_BLK, PM1a_CNT_BLK and PM_TMR_BLK are located consecutively
>> from this base,
>> - but GPE0_BLK is placed at 0xafe0 (build_fadt() -->
>> pci_init_device(fadt_init_tbl) --> piix4_fadt_init())
>>
> That is because those are two totally different things. One is PM1
> register another is GPE0 register. The very obvious hint that they are
> unrelated is that they described by two different fields in FADT.

Of course. That was my exact point. They are independent, so OVMF isn't
forced either to squeeze them in the same port range from 0x400. OVMF is
free to locate GPE0 so that it matches qemu, independently from other
ACPI registers.

This was how I interpreted our discussion with Jordan:

L: Shouldn't qemu & OVMF agree on GPE0?
J: Why? Anyway, OVMF should be correct, because all ACPI registers are
in one tight bunch, starting from 0x400.
L: None of those two characteristics (1: "0x400", 2: "one tight bunch")
are required by the spec. For proof, see what SeaBIOS does: 1: it
doesn't use 0x400 as base, 2: GPE0 is not even above the base.

To quote a mutual friend, "we're in violent agreement".

Anyway, back to my original question: currently OVMF and qemu disagree
wrt. GPE0. Which one should I try to modify so that they agree?

Thanks,
Laszlo