qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] unreviewed commits (was: Re: Restore consistent formatt

From: malc
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] unreviewed commits (was: Re: Restore consistent formatting)
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 13:03:06 +0400 (MSK)

On Sun, 6 May 2012, Blue Swirl wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 2:37 AM, malc <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> The second patch is far from trivial!
> >>
> >> It unneededly breaks the build on ppc hosts (during the Hard Freeze!),
> >> so that I can no longer compile-test my patch series against PowerKVM.
> >
> > As discussed on IRC, the feature does not work on PPC32, hence it's
> > violently disabled, what's needed is a black/white list of AREG0 ready
> > targets.
>
> I think disabling was a poor decision, didn't this code already work
> in some cases? What's really needed is to shuffle the registers

It didn't on Linux and BSDs, might have worked on Darwin and AIX.

> according to ABI and this shouldn't be much different to what was
> already in.

The code that was commited was
a. Pathetically inneficient everywhere
b. Wrong for SysV ABI

> I have sent out AREG0 patches for ARM and PPC, also I have x86 patches
> in preparation. When (if) these and maybe further conversions are
> committed for 1.2, PPC host support will be practically nonexistent.
> Is this what you want?

What i do not want is code that doesn't work. And i take non-existant
over wrong any day. I also would prefer to be notified when code which
i maintain is modified.

[..snip..]

--
mailto:address@hidden