qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding an IPMI BMC device to KVM

From: Corey Minyard
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Adding an IPMI BMC device to KVM
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 13:07:45 -0500

I think we are getting a little out of hand here, and we are mixing up concepts :).

There are lots of things IPMI *can* do (including serial access, VGA snooping, LAN access, etc.) but I don't see any value it that. The main thing here is to emulate the interface to the guest. OOB management is really more appropriately handled with libvirt. How the BMC integrates into the hardware varies a *lot* between systems, but it's really kind of irrelevant. (Well, almost irrelevant, BMCs can provide a direct I2C messaging capability, and that may matter.)

A guest can have one (or more) of a number of interfaces (that are all fairly bad, unfortunately). The standard ones are called "KCS", "BT" and "SMIC" and they generally are directly on the ISA bus, but are in memory on non-x86 boxes (and on some x86 boxes) and sometimes on the PCI bus. Some systems also have interfaces over I2C, but that hasn't really caught on. Others have interfaces over serial ports, and that unfortunately has caught on in the ATCA world. And there are at least 3 different basic types of serial port interfaces with sub-variants :(. I'm not sure what the USB rndis device is, but I'll look at it. But there is no IPMI over USB.

The big things a guest can do are sensor management, watchdog timer, reset, and power control. In complicated IPMI-based systems like ATCA, a guest may want to send messages through its local IPMI controller to other guest's IPMI controllers or to a central BMC that runs an entire chassis of systems. So that may need to be supported, depending on what people want to do and how hard they want to work on it.

My proposal is to start small, with just a local interface, watchdog timer, sensors and power control. But have an architecture that would allow external LAN access, tying BMCs in different qemu instances together, perhaps serial over IPMI, and other things of that nature.

-corey