qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Current differences between qemu --enable-kvm and qemu-

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Current differences between qemu --enable-kvm and qemu-kvm?
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 11:04:29 +0100

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Erik Rull <address@hidden> wrote:
> is there a summary existing that shows up the rough or actual differences
> between qemu --enable-kvm and qemu-kvm? I tested both versions with the same
> compile and start options, the CPU performance results are identical, only
> the bootup time of my guest system with qemu-kvm seemed to be a bit faster
> (not measured, it just feeled so).

For production KVM instances I think it still makes sense to use
qemu-kvm packages from your distro or qemu-kvm upstream source.

Jan Kiszka has reduced the delta between qemu.git and qemu-kvm.git to
the point where I think the list of differences is rather small -
maybe PCI passthrough stuff, irqfd for vhost-net (which is now also
being upstreamed into qemu.git), and a few other things I don't know
of.

For development most patches should be against qemu.git unless they
have a dependency on qemu-kvm.git code.

Stefan