qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QOMification of AXI stream

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] QOMification of AXI stream
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:48:39 +0300

On 06/12/2012 04:32 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 12 June 2012 14:18, Avi Kivity <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> ...they're just opposite sides of the same interface, though,
>>> really. For instance you could say that any memory transaction
>>> master (cpu, dma controller, whatever) should take a single
>>> MemoryRegion* and must issue all its memory accesses to that MR*.
>>> (obviously that would usually be a container region.)
>>
>> It would be a container region, and it would be unrelated to any other
>> regions held by the device (the device might not have any memory
>> regions; instead it would only be able to do dma).
>
> It shouldn't actually be owned by the transaction master, but
> by whatever the parent object is that created the transaction
> master. So for instance for an ARM board you'd have something
> like:
>  * top level machine QOM object creates a 'system-memory'
>    container region, and puts all the devices in it in their
>    correct locations
>  * top level object also creates the cortex-a9 device, and
>    passes it a pointer to the system-memory container
>  * the cortex-a9 device instantiates the CPU cores and the
>    per-cpu devices, and creates a container region for
>    each cpu containing (devices for that cpu, plus the
>    system-memory region it got passed). It passes a pointer
>    to the right region to each cpu core
>  * the cpu cores just use the region they're given
>  * if there's a dma controller in the system, the top level
>    machine object creates the controller and hands it a
>    pointer to the system-memory container region too. (So
>    the dma controller correctly doesn't see the per-cpu
>    devices.)
>
> (when I say 'passes a pointer' I mean something involving
> QOM links I expect. I'm not sure if anybody's thought about
> how we expose memory regions in a QOM manner.)
>
> Notice that in this approach it's perfectly valid to have
> a board model which creates a single device and a single
> CPU and passes the device's MemoryRegion directly to the
> CPU. This corresponds to a hardware design where the CPU's
> address lines just connect straight to the device's, ie
> there's no bus fabric or address decoding.

Yes, exactly.

If the devices sees a byte-swapping bus, then instead of giving it a
container region, we give it an io region; the callbacks byte-swap and
write the contents to a container that does the rest of the forwarding.
 If it's an address remapping iommu, then we pass it a container region
with an alias-per-page that remaps the device addresses to addresses in
another container:

iommu

 +-alias-page-0 ---> system_memory[7]
 |-alias-page-1 ---> system_memory[3]
 .
 .
 .

So a device write to page 1 is redirected to page 3.  Of course in both
cases we'll want to fold the functionality into the memory API instead
of making the iommu writer work so hard.