qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to management KVM virtual machines via libvirt?

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to management KVM virtual machines via libvirt?
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2012 09:40:59 +0100

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 08:00:00PM +0800, 陳韋任 (Wei-Ren Chen) wrote:
>   CC'ed to libvirt-users.
>
> On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 07:00:59PM +0800, GaoYi wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> >    I am trying to management the VMs created by KVM commandline. However, I
> > found the libvirt cannot connect to the VMs or manage it from virsh. Can
> > anybody provide any help?
> >    Best,
>
>   Shouldn't this go to libvirt mailing list?
>
>   http://libvirt.org/contact.html

There is a way to tell libvirt to attach to an externally
launched KVM process, provided you have configured it with
a monitor socket using the UNIX protocol. This is not always
entirely successful though, due to the sheer number of
different ways QEMU can be launched, which libvirt does not
always understand:

http://berrange.com/posts/2011/07/13/attaching-libvirt-to-an-externally-launched-kvm-instance/

In the long run, I'd really recommend just launch the guests
via libvirt in the first place

Daniel