qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] introduce a dynamic library to expose qemu block

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] introduce a dynamic library to expose qemu block API
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 10:16:40 +0100

On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 10:12:47AM +0100, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:

> > >   Thank u for the idea. The .so is introduced to let program access the
> > > image more directly, parsing string is not so fast and it depends on
> > > another program's stdout output, I hope to get a faster way.
> >
> > I doubt you actually have profiled it.
>
> I think speed is not the issue, instead it's just providing an API that
> external programs can use.  Management tools, backup software, custom
> administration tools, etc.  It's convenient to have an API.

Actually I think speed could well be quite relevant. In large deployments
it would not be surpising to see 1000's of images in a directory. If you
want to be able to query metadata about all of them at once, then being
able to open()+read(4k)+close() 1000 times is going to be dramatically
faster than doing fork()+execve(qemu-img) 1000 times.

NB, I still think qemu-img info should be able to return a JSON parsable
data format, regardless of what any block library does.

Daniel