qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Ask for help with estimate of disassembly speed

From: Max Filippov
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Ask for help with estimate of disassembly speed
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 14:02:46 +0400

Hi.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 7:30 PM, Евгений Олегович
<address@hidden> wrote:

[...]

> We have developed rough disassembler based on Intel encoding table (from
> information in documentation volume "Instruction optimization"). And now we
> need to compare speed of our disassembler with others (with Yours too). And
> the second task is to simplify our model of disassembly (We consider 3
> models of building Diassembler - Finite State Machine, Jump from a Table and
> Block-Diagram, witch we realize with conditional crossing).
> So, in our Disassembler, that we call Speedy ( Block-Diagram was used) - we
> can simply set time counter at the begin and at the end of parsing
> instruction. But we can't repeat this thing with Yours Disassembler. It
> follows us ask You for help us.

In every QEMU target that works via TCG there's a function named
disas_[target-specific name]_insn (for x86 it is called disas_insn).

This function can roughly be called 'disassembler'. It analyses one
guest opcode and generates a series of TCG instructions that implement it.

It's not clear to me which speed you're trying to measure, if your goal is
"average time to disassemble an average instruction" then you can sum
up time spent in disas_insn and divide it by the number of disas_insn
invocations.

[...]

--
Thanks.