qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Selective block migration (still on 0.13)

From: Kevin Wolf
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Selective block migration (still on 0.13)
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2012 13:07:33 +0200

Am 13.09.2012 16:58, schrieb Christian Theune:
> Hi,
>
> we're currently still on 0.13, looking forward to a large update soon. :)
>
> We haven't been using live migration up until now, but are
> investigating it to multiple downtimes (restarting updated hosts and
> restarting updated guests) when doing system updates. So, we're trying
> to find out whether we can get this into a usable shape while still
> running 0.13.
>
> I saw that 0.13 does have block migration available. However, looking
> at the code, it's an "either or" situation: migrate all block devices
> or none.

And I advise you to choose "none" with 0.13. While the 1.2 block
migration code doesn't add new options over 0.13 and is deprecated, it's
expected to kind of work. However, I'm pretty sure that we fixed some
data corruptions issues after 0.13 and so I'd expect that 0.13 eats your
data when using block migration.

Kevin