qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RfC] using pixman in qemu for raster ops

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RfC] using pixman in qemu for raster ops
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 11:48:04 +0100

On 25 September 2012 11:37, Gerd Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 09/25/12 11:31, Peter Maydell wrote:
>> For me "not a standard library package on RHEL5" is a strong argument
>> against adding a hard dependency. (For instance, most of the compute
>> cluster machines here are RHEL5 and it would be pretty awkward to
>> deal with manually building a dependent library.)
>
> Why it is that a big deal?  Whatever is used to distribute qemu to the
> cluster machines (local yum repo?) can be used to distribute pixman too, no?

There's a big leap between "run configure, put the qemu executable
in some generally available directory" and "you have to first get
and build some third party library, install it somewhere, tell
configure where you put it, then build qemu, then make sure that
not just the qemu executable but also this third party library
are on all the machines". At the moment you can build qemu without
any non-system dependencies, and we should have a really good
reason for breaking that.

-- PMM