qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Virtio devices with mmio.

From: KONRAD Frédéric
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Virtio devices with mmio.
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2012 15:55:08 +0200

Hi,

We are actually trying to use virtio devices with Virt-mmio bus.

The idea is to use theses patches I mentioned in a previous mail (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2012-09/msg04913.html).

We are currently drawing the plan of how we can complete theses patches to have it upstreamed.

Actually we have two major topics.

Backends / transport separation :

We need a good separation between backends and virtio-pci/virtio-mmio, actually it seems to be the case for virt-mmio but not for virtio-pci as the old device file is temporary kept for compability ( virtio-pci-new.c ).

Quality of code :

We need to be sure that all the devices are happy with the QOM design, any hints about that ?

For the moment your plan is :

Implementing virtio-xxx-pci which create virtio-pci and virtio-xxx ( as suggested by Evgeny Voevodin ).
Looking at the command line issues.
Refactor remaining back-ends ( virtio-scsi, virto-serial, ... ) and update s390. Check the QOM design of all the modification ( virtio-mmio, transport, ... ).

Is that making sense ? Any suggestion ?

I'll reporting back by the end of the week.

Fred