qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Any alternative to kqemu ?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Any alternative to kqemu ?
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:37:56 +0200

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 01:52:54PM +0300, Timothy Madden wrote:
> `qemu-system-i386 -net nic ...` keeps saying upon invocation that
> vlan0 is not connected to host network. My `vconfig add eth1`
> command completed successfully, and I can `ifconfig eth1.0`,
> although I see no IP address on the new interface, only the mac
> address.

QEMU "VLANs" are not 802.1Q VLANs.  The terminology is confusing but it
has nothing to do with vconfig.

This error is displayed because there are two parts to the network
configuration options:
1. Emulated guest device, for example rtl8139 or virtio-net.
2. Host netdev, for example tap or the userspace SLIRP stack.

The error means you have only defined the emulated guest device but no
host netdev.  QEMU needs to know how you wish to connect the guest to
the outside world.

Here is a complete network configuration to try:

  qemu -net nic,model=rtl8139 -net user

There is more detail here:
http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking

Stefan