qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] 1.4 release schedule

From: Blue Swirl
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] 1.4 release schedule
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 21:35:49 +0000

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 9:01 AM, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 05.12.2012 20:28, schrieb Blue Swirl:
>> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM, Anthony Liguori <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> What was committed post hard freeze that's not a
>>> bug fix?
>>
>> d3067b0 Documentation: Update image format information
>> a13e5e0 Documentation: Update block cache mode information
>> 044d003 qemu-tech.texi: update implemented xtensa features list
>
>> a0a7068 target-i386: Enable SSSE3 TCG support
>
> Fixed a regression - cf. commit message
>
>> 80ae416 target-i386/cpu: Add missing flags to Haswell CPU model
>
> Bug fix - keyword "missing", we certainly did not want backwards
> compatibility issues for a newly introduced model.
>
>> 42015c9 virtio-rng: fix typos, comments
>
>> e1e54f3 target-i386: cpu: add missing flags to Haswell CPU model
>
> Same as above.
>
>> 339c270 qom: make object_finalize static
>
> Not a bugfix and agreed as not needed for 1.3 but still applied
>
>> 64b625f qdev: simplify (de)allocation of buses
>> fde9bf4 qom: make object_delete usable for statically-allocated objects
>> 667d22d qdev: move bus removal to object_unparent
>
> Bug fix with preparations
>
>> 74c856e tests: add thread pool unit tests
>> b2ea25d tests: add AioContext unit tests
>> 21022c9 q35: Add kvmclock support
>> a1c9304 ich9: Add i82801b11 dmi-to-pci bridge
>> df2d8b3 q35: Introduce q35 pc based chipset emulator
>> 678e7b9 ich9: Add smbus
>> 4d00636 ich9: Add the lpc chip
>> e516572 ich9: Add acpi support and definitions
>> 410edd9 pc/piix_pci: factor out smram/pam logic
>> d8ee038 pc_piix: Move kvm irq routing functions out of pc_piix.c
>> a39e356 pc: Move ioapic_init() from pc_piix.c to pc.c
>> 9011a1a pc, pc_piix: split out pc nic initialization
>> 723aedd usb-redir: Don't handle interrupt output packets async
>> 234e810 usb-redir: Split usb_handle_interrupt_data into separate
>> in/out functions
>> 33c1a68 usb-bt: Return NAK instead of STALL when interrupt ep has no data
>> 1bc6b70 block: add bdrv_reopen() support for raw hdev, floppy, and cdrom
>> d132c79 target-mips: Add comments on POOL32Axf encoding
>
> Generally I have been in favor of allowing patches that improve the
> quality of the release while not introducing regressions, like typo
> fixes or documentation updates. This cycle I was much stricter with the
> only-bugfixes rule so I don't understand your complaint.

I'm just whining about the small mismatch between description of hard
freeze and reality. All of the patches were OK and they probably
improved the release, whether they matched the description or not.

> If for any reason you think a certain PATCH or PULL should not be
> applied at a certain point in time, feel free to reply before it gets
> committed/merged, which is usually several days later.

But that is a part of the problem, I'm not so sure which patches or
pulls should be applied after the hard freeze.