qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Graphics performance

From: Dunrong Huang
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Graphics performance
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 23:57:52 +0800

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 9:22 PM, Erik Rull <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> which is the graphics emulation with the lowest CPU usage for 2D-only
>>> GUIs?
>>> (e.g. Win XP without Direct3D usage)? I just need to drive a virtual
>>> graphics display with 1024x768 (@16bit colors). At the moment I use the
>>> cirrus graphics card emulation. Is there something more efficient?
>>> Terminal/Console is either a real display or VNC - maybe for the two
>>> versions different adaptors bring the best performance for each of them?
>>>
>> you shoud try spice. spice depends on qxl video card which is a
>> paravirtual graphics card.
>> It means you must install qxl driver in your guest to make this card work.
>>
>> More details, please refer:
>> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/SPICE
>

> Hi just had a look at this page - but it looks as if I cannot use this for a
> real hardware display:
> ""
> Client
>
> To connect to a virtual machine using SPICE, you need a client application.
> ""
which os you are using? window or linux? If you use linux, you can
install a spice client easily by e.g.:
sudo apt-get install spice-client
or
sudo emerge spice-gtk

Then connect to your guest with:
spicy -h host_ip -p port

If you use windows, download a binary from:
http://spice-space.org/download.html

> Is a hardware monitor capable to display the QXL format? And for my remote
> clients - can I still use VNC?
Any monitor is capable QXL format, actually spice display is not
relevant to hardware monitor.

> A change in the guest would be okay, but I still must be able to use the
> existing client environment...

If you want to use  VNC for display, pass "-vnc :1" to qemu command line.
This way, VNC server is running in QEMU, not guest, you donot need to change
anything in guest.

--
Best Regards,

Dunrong Huang