qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Using QEMU guest agent to run programs from guest path

From: Erlon Cruz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Using QEMU guest agent to run programs from guest path
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 11:06:02 -0200

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 9:04 PM, mdroth <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 06:14:59PM -0200, Erlon Cruz wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I needed to run an external program in a guest machine. Once this must be
> triggered by the host, I first thought in qemu-ga.
> Is that possible? In QEMU help page and in the code I couldn't find such
> capability.
> So Im thinking In to implement a new GA QMP command that can run generic
> programs in the guest. It would be receive/return something like this:
>
> {"execute":"execvp",
> "arguments":{"command":"/bin/ls","cmdargs":"-la","timeout":20}}
> {"return": {"status": "0", "stdout": "aGVsbG8gd29ybGQhCg==", "stderr": ""}}
>
> Any thoughts/ideas about this?

I sent an RFC for this a while back:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-12/msg00722.html

At the time the interface seemed a bit tedious, but AFAIK it's the only
kind of approach that'll work for longer-running commands with lots of
output, so I might just clean it up and re-spin the series.

Why you say tedious? The interface seems to have a very wide usage for several scenarios and fits perfectly for what we are trying to do. Why it didn't go upstream? I think it would be nice to roll that up again.

Erlon