qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu s390x emulation

From: Jens Freimann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu s390x emulation
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 12:24:18 +0100

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 10:04:57AM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 01/15/2013 05:45:44 AM, Alexander Graf wrote:
> >
> >Does this one work for you?
> >
> >http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-s390/current/images/generic/kernel.debian
>
> I tried grabbing that and grabbing the initrd image in the same
> directory, booting them with:
>
> qemu-system-s390x -kernel kernel.debian -nographic -m 1024 -initrd
> initrd.debian \
>  -append "rdinit=/bin/ash"
>
> And it booted to a shell prompt... with a broken console. When I did
> "ls -l" at the resulting prompt it echoed back an ANSI escape
> sequence, one character at a time, which looks like the response to
> the ansi screen size probe busybox does (to query the display size
> of an xterm across a virtual serial console).

I get the same result with this combination of kernel and initrd. However,
with a more simple ramdisk (built by myself) that only has busybox in it
I could boot into a shell that worked just fine. It seems to me that something
in initrd.debian is not working well with qemu/virtio_console but I haven't
debugged it further.

Jens